Monday, May 14, 2007

Quacks and Quirks

I had a good friend who recently told me I'm a bit of a "quack." I believe his exact words were, "There are some people who just have weird, obsessive personality quirks. Perhaps you should take some medication for that." I burst out laughing. But upon closer inspection, I have to agree. I think we all have certain "quirks" and peeves that make us...a little interesting. I know I do. And I've decided since "confession is good for the soul," to share a few of mine with you. So, here goes....

1. I can only watch t.v. and listen to the stereo if the volume is set to an even number (10, 12, 14 etc.). If it's on an odd number, it just feels all wrong. The only exception is I can listen to the stereo at 25. That's the factory default setting.

2. I don't like food being peeled directly into my sink. Not potatoes, onions, carrots. Peel it onto a paper towel and then roll it up and throw it into the garbage. Peeling it into the sink just causes more cleaning.

3. Toilet paper must be put on the roll with the end falling to the front. This just makes good sense to me. That way the starting end is always nicely draped and hanging over. None of this tucked behind nonsense.

4. My hubby informs me this is weird (personally, I think it's quite normal), but I like the bed to be perfectly neat before climbing in. It can stay a mess throughout the day, but I have to make it before going to bed. I don't like bunchy sheets.

5. When driving on the highway, the only right speed is 120 km/h. I know that's over the limit (110 km/h) and lots of people would chasten me on this bending (or breaking) of the law, but seriously, anything slower just makes me anxious and all knotted up inside.

And now, to tell one on my DH. He absolutely, cannot-even-for-a-second, stand it when someone chews with their mouth open or smacks their food. This includes my 5 and 3 year old. If he could get away with it, I think he'd start in on the baby, too. LOL! I've never seen him wound so tightly as at supper times. It's so bad, it's funny. He just looks at me and says, "are they like this during the day, or only when I'm home?" I just laugh and tell him I honestly don't notice.

So, fess up. What makes you "quack"?

3 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I am totally with you on the toilet paper thing. My first roomie was exactly the opposite and we were both obsessed to point of really bad fights. We finally agreed that whoever changed it got to decide how it went on and it STAYED that way. This, of course, led to us using forty squares of TP when it got close to the end so we'd be the one to use the last and put on a new roll.

I'll have to think about the others.

PS. The stereo/TV volume thing? Really weird.

The Mailman's Wife said...

Hey, The toilet paper thing must be a common one! We were newly married when I got a lesson from DH on how to put the toilet paper on properly! LOL! I will never forget it! Now I find myself fixing other peoples toilet paper rolls! HA! I even told my MOM to do it right!

One that bugs me horribly is when my DH orders in food from a local chinese resturant and he picks up their accent...WHILE HE IS ON THE PHONE WITH THEM!!! Drives me BATTY! I tell him to watch it cause it sounds like he is mocking them! GRRR! He insists that he doesn't know he is doing it but HE DOES IT!!! I have to believe that he doesn't know he does it cause he has never lied to me before...Anyhow I have a few more but I fear my comment is long enough! Thanks for the laughs!

Shauna said...

Marianne, yeah, the volume thing is weird. Shameful, really. The first time we had my good friend and her husband over for a movie the volume was set to an odd number (my DH). I tried to let it go, really I did. It lasted for 2 minutes where I kept telling myself, "it's okay. It's no big deal." I couldn't concentrate on the movie, so finally, I apologized and explained the situation and then "fixed" the volume. They all got a good laugh, but they still hang out with us. LOL!

Miss, that is so funny about your DH. I've heard of picking up a British accent or even a southern one, but that's a whole different ball park. LOL!