Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Oh, the Joys of Having Boys!

I love having boys! They are rambunctious and full of energy and life! Here are some things that I have found to be unique about raising boys!

1. Every type of play is better enhanced with sound effects. In fact, I've heard them have whole conversations where not one word is uttered, but is merely the exchange of different sounds.

2. Dirt, mud and slime are actually attracted to them. It is genetically impossible for a young boy to avoid a mud puddle. In fact, my three-year-old has actually backed up to go through the puddle he somehow, accidentally missed! And this not two seconds after I finished telling him not to walk in the mud.

3. Wrestling or play-fighting is a socially acceptable thing to do. The first thing my sons do when someone enters our house, is ask them if they want to fight. (They don't ask girls; they know better. LOL!)

4. Food tastes better when it's eaten outside, off the ground or is from the plate on the table beside you at a fast-food restaurant. (Yuck! *shudder*)

5. It's mandatory that any new friend know who Green Lantern, Flash, Dare Devil, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Robin, Power Rangers, Wonder Woman and Batgirl are. Of course, you also need to know their enemies as well. (Penguin, Joker, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Cat Woman, Lex Luther, Doc Oc, etc.)

6. Why walk when you can run? Why talk when you can shout? Why step when you can jump? Why pass when you can throw?

7. If you can climb it, it's meant to be climbed. If you can jump off it without breaking a leg, it's meant for jumping. If you can swing and hang from it - and it doesn't rip out of the wall - then that must be why it's there.

These are some things that I've had the pleasure of learning from my boys! They make my life exciting and they never cease to amaze me with the things they do. I've laughed more in the last five years, then ever before in my life! They are fun, they are wild, they are a joy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must let you know that those things are not exclusive to boys, girls can do all of those things as well. We had 2 boys and 1 girl and our daughter always kept up with her brothers, infact, may have been the instigator on some of the antics that our kids pulled.LOL
I think that it finally tones down for girls when they come to realize that boys don't have flees.LOL Then its not so cool to jump off coffee tables and be superheros. I'm not sure when walking through puddles gets out of the system, even now in my older age there are times when the foot wear is right that a puddle calls to check out how deep it really is, especially when your with your grandkids.
We have laughed many times over the things that our kids have done,
and now we laugh at the things our grandkids say and do. The mind and imagination of children is the best entertainment that life has to offer.LOL
ym

Anonymous said...

Obviously I have no first hand experience with small boys, but I have this big boy at home and have realized that he sounds pretty similar to your little ones. For some reason mess seems to follow them around. In fact, the perfect example happened just last night.

My wonderful hubby came to me and mentioned that his back was a bit sore, so being the caring wife that I am I told him to go lay down on the bed and I'll rub his back. Well, that can be very tiring work and I found myself rather thirsty. So I leaned over to my night stand to grab my glass of water, took a sip, and set it down again. At that moment I remembered I quickly needed to grab something from the other room. While I was out I heard all sorts of laughing coming from the bedroom and when I returned I noticed that water had been spilled all over the bed! And my D.H. was all wet too! What a mess!! And guess who had to clean it up. That's right, me. Of course my hubby blamed me for the mess saying that I had set the glass, full of water, down on his back - but that's beside the point.

Boys will be boys.

Shar

Shauna said...

ym, I can't begin to imagine what you mean. LOL! Your girl got into all kinds of messes?? She sounds wonderful...full of creativity and imagination. She's a keeper. LOL! And I agree that kids are the best entertainment. One of my favorite memories is when I was pregnant with #3. I was near the end of my third trimester when son #1 was looking at my belly and asked when it would patch?

"Patch?" I asked.

"Yeah, you know," he said, "like a chicken."

Ahhh, HATCH! I couldn't stop laughing.

Shar, you set a glass of water down on your hubby's back? ROFLOL! But, I agree that that's entirely beside the point. After all, we women need to stick together! :-)

Anonymous said...

Those are some great observations of your boys. But I'd say you've still got them beat until one of them sticks their eye open with pancake syrup. hehe. A brief comment on your last blog - I feel bad for your D.H. because he may receive some teasing due to the last blog, but not to worry, I would never do that. After all, I do realize that to an artist, the brush is just an extension of himself. hehe.

dev

Shauna said...

dev, son #2 used to put food on his head to let us know he was done his supper. There's nothing like looking over to find a baby in his highchair with a piece of perogy sitting nice-as-you-please on top of his head!

And, yes, my DH knew I was going to post about that. I told him (after, of course) that it was just too good to pass up! LOL! And you know, I was thinking the same thing about the whole brush and artist thing while I was watching him! You'd have thought he was painting a masterpiece for the concentration he was giving it. I thought it was great...but yeah, he'll probably take a little ribbing. He might have to settle his disputes with a leg-wrestle. Whatcha think?