Thursday, March 8, 2007

That Idiom!

Idioms are funny things, aren't they? Weird phrases that imply a different meaning. The other day someone told my five-year-old son "mums the word." He was baffled. He just looked up at us with a blank look on his face. We were buying a birthday present for my brother (his uncle) and I tried to explain that the phrase, "mums the word" means that it's a secret, that we can't tell what we bought.

As we were leaving the store, we ran into my brother and father in the parking lot. My son looked at his uncle and shouted, "MOM!" I burst out laughing! There was confusion on the adult faces and my son's shone with pride at the use of his "grown up" word. He calmly explained that "mom" meant it was a secret and that he couldn't tell!

Aren't kids precious? So innocent, so sweet, so FUNNY!

5 comments:

The Mailman's Wife said...

Ok I needed that laugh this morning! Thank you! I agree kids are so cute! Especially yours! LOL!

Shauna said...

Miss, thanks for that "especially yours" comment! Of course, I think they're exceptionally adorable, but I know I'm biased! And kids are sooooo funny! The things they say and do never cease to amuse me!

Anonymous said...

that was definately a highlight for me. funny kid.

uncle

Shauna said...

Uncle, that kid makes me laugh! The things he comes up with! And today, I was stuck trying to figure out a closing song for worship, so I asked him, "what would you like to sing on Sunday?" His first choice was "My Savior loves, my Savior lives," but when I told him we were already doing that one, he said, "He has brought me out of the pit. I'll sing glory, hallelujah...lift your name on high." I thought, Brilliant! It actually works with the message more or less! So we're doing it!

From the mouths of babes!!

The Mailman's Wife said...

That is awesome Shauna! Most adults don't take the time to listen to kids. They know much more then we think they do....They are not polluted by the world, this makes them much more pure then us! They have bright ideas too!