Friday, June 8, 2007

The Matching Game!

A few months ago, I threw out every pair of white socks my husband owned.

What is it with men and white socks? They pull on a pair of nice white socks, slip their feet into steel-toed boots and off they go to work. In my husband's case his work is in the oilfield. So he tromps around all day in mud, muck, oil and gas. Then he comes home, takes off his boots and discards his dirty work clothes. Shirts, jeans, long-underwear (in winter) and, you guessed it, once-white socks. Now a dirty, brownish-grey with black electrical tape wrapped around the ankles which, not so surprisingly, leaves black rings around the socks that will NOT come off in the wash. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, read this post, question #2 and the answer.

So a while ago I had finally had it! I threw out every pair of white socks he owned and replaced them with sensible black ones...all the same style, size and brand. These ones won't show the dirt or tape stains and I patted myself on the back for this stroke of brilliance. I just hate folding out-of-the-dryer, not-so-white socks.

Then the other day, I was folding a basket of laundry and what did I find? A few stragglers. That's right. Somehow those few white socks managed to escape the Great White Massacre! Argh! Once again I found myself matching the stains on pairs of socks!

3 comments:

The Mailman's Wife said...

LOL! Speaking of socks...My DH also has white socks. All the same brand, you know the ones with the red piping on the toe? WELL...I went to buy him some new socks, all to find out that the red piping is differnt on this pack!!! So now when I go to match the socks I have to check out the red lines so "they all feel the same..." in his words. For SOME reason the think red line feels different than the thin one!!! Too funny! I should have left it alone!!

Jenster said...

Hahahaha! Seems like we're always missing a sock or two here and there. I don't think I've ever had too many socks!! :o)

Shauna said...

Jenster, that's so true! I think my dryer is eating them. LOL!