Thursday, June 28, 2007

Dating Disaster

The other night hubby and I went on a date. I was looking forward to spending time together and was picturing a quiet, relaxing evening with dinner and conversation.

We arrived at the restaurant and were seated in a little nook tucked away from the rest of the diners. Yes, I thought, this is perfect. We ordered and began a nice conversation. I was just beginning to relax and was soaking up the atmosphere when the waitress came by and seated a couple next to us. Right next to us. As in, I-could-reach-over-and-touch-his-shoulder close. Yeah. Our conversation ground to an awkward halt.

I tried to make the best of it and continued a hushed, somewhat stilted conversation with my hubby while trying to ignore the increasing volume and colorful language coming from the people next to us. Our food arrived and we began our meal, my DH eating rather quickly. This wasn't unusual so I thought nothing of it until he leaned across the table and whispered, "let's get dessert somewhere else. I feel like ice cream."

What? I had told him I wanted this special chocolate-fudge-skor cake. I was confused. I quietly protested, but he was determined to leave. I began to feel a little miffed with him for rushing me through my meal. The minute the last particle of food left my plate, he requested the check and ushered me out the door. I was upset. Some romantic dinner, I thought.

As we walked out to our vehicle I turned to him and demanded to know what his problem was.

"Didn't you notice the people next to us?"

"Yes. What about them?"

"Didn't you hear what they were saying?" DH was looking at me rather incredulously.

"I heard their language, I was just ignoring it." I felt a bit bigger at my ability to overlook this wrong.

"It's not that," he said. "The lady must be on some medication. She was saying how she quit taking them because she'd rather live in her own reality than this reality. She was getting mad at the service and I was a little worried about what she would do." Hubby's looking at me intently. "And didn't you see them? They were making out right next to you!"

What?! I was feeling somewhat shocked.

"Uh, I didn't notice anything. What? Were they kissing?"

My DH just gave me a tolerant look complete with lifted eyebrows. Apparently they were doing a lot more than kissing! And only two feet from me! GROSS!

I felt myself deflate. Apparently my DH was having a hard time choking down his supper and I was upset about him rushing our evening. I felt a little sheepish.

So, anyone have a dating disaster you want to share?

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

That's the pits! I know DH and I seldom get out alone, so how frustrating it would be to have the special night ruined.

I can't think of any disasterous dates off the top of my head, but I'm sure they've occured, so I'll give it some thought.

I hope dessert worked out okay!

Shauna said...

LOL! Marianne, I took the cake to go. :-) In hindsight, the whole thing was rather funny and hubby and I had a good laugh...well, I laughed. He's still not feeling so great. LOL!