Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another Year Gone

Today marks the day twenty-eight years ago that I entered the world a squalling, red faced baby. Not much has changed. KIDDING! Well, kind of.

Last year I was less than thrilled with the idea of turning twenty-seven. I'm thinking my aversion to odd numbers had something to do with it. I refuse to believe it was because the big 3-0 was looming closer. I'm a step closer to the top of the hill and the view ain't all bad. I am determined to age - somewhat - gracefully ... or at least do my kicking and screaming in private.

I was pondering today the changes the past year had brought. You know, what things had I accomplished, what goals had I met, how many diapers had I changed. That type of thing. Here's the list I compiled.

1. I've been married one year longer.

2. I've grown in stature. Okay, not "stature," just ... grown.

3. My oldest went off to kindergarten, which resulted in...


5. My husband and I enjoyed a ten day trip to Costa Rica where we lived it up. NO KIDS!!

6. I changed roughly four diapers a day, which over a year adds up to ... 1,460 diapers. (Minus the ones Chad changed on the weekends.)

7. I have wiped hands and faces twice a day ... 730 swipes. Multiply that by two for the sticky ketchup in hard to reach places. (Ears, hair, between fingers, belly buttons)

8. I have given about 30 hugs a day, 40 kisses, 10 tickles. That adds up to 10950, 14600 and 3650 respectively.

9. I've continued to lead worship at our church which has been both a wonderful blessing and, at times, a difficult challenge. It has been amazing to watch God work in spite of me. *g*

10. I have new, wonderful bedroom furniture. LOVE, LOVE IT!! Deep rich espresso color (yummy) with a leather headboard and foot board. Gorgeous.

11. Deepened friendships both online and off.

12. Sporadically maintained a blog.

13. Bought a 30+ Skin Care line. My way of giving 'Ole Father Time a swift kick in the teeth.

That's about it. Not a very impressive list I'll admit. But that's my life - wife, mother, worship leader, friend, occasional blogger. And I wouldn't change a thing about it.

9 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Shauna, happy birthday to you!!!!

Trust me, thirty is a breeze... it's FORTY that stinks. *G*

His Girl said...

May your birthday and the coming year be full of God's blessings for you!

Happy Happy Birthday!

Travis Erwin said...

Happy Birthday!

The Daily "B" said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, friend!

Hope it's a wonderful, wonderful day! =)

Becky said...

Awww, loved your #8!

I'm SO GLAD we met this year...and love catching up with you any which way we can...Dee's, occasional blog posts...whatever! It's been a blast getting to know you, and if we lived closer, we surely would meet for brownies and play dates for the boys, lol.

You are a strong, brave woman, facing 28 with such dignity. For me, turning 30 was my hardest birthday. I sat at a church softball game bawling my eyes out feeling positively ancient having left my twenties behind. *sniff, sniff*. Don't worry, though, I'm over it now. I think. Hairapy is helping, though I still may need to dye. ;)

Have a wonderful 28th! God's richest blessings, friend!

Katybug said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Shauna! I think #8 could be your greatest accomplishment! :-) And don't fear 30...there is NOTHING wrong with being 30. I have heard that 30 is the new 20. 40 ain't so bad, either. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 30s & 40s...so far!!! :-)

Jenster said...

Are you kidding?? It's been a great, full year! I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store for you this next year.

And by the way - 30 is NOT the top of the hill. Seriously. :o) In fact, the 30's are waaaay better than the 20's!

Becky said...

Hello? Shauna? *knocks* Anyone here?

Just checkin' to see what you've been up to.

Sing4joy said...

Loved your birthday stats!! Youngster.