Friday, August 24, 2007

Kids

My son, Connor, asked me today, "Mom, do you know what glass-see-ass means?"

Huh? Now, as a mother of boys I have been asked all kinds of things, but this one left me clueless. "What?"

"Glass-SEE-ASS."

Okay, the emphasis wasn't helping. I was still completely stumped. "No."

"You know, like in Spanish."

Okay, it's early morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, but very dimly there's a light bulb flickering. Hmmm. Spanish. Glass-see-ass...glas-ee-ass.....glasseeas.....gracias. Gracias! "It means thank you. Gracias, thank you."

And thank you Dora the Explorer!

********************

Last night I was laying in bed awake at 1:00 a.m. unable to sleep and once again crying and worrying about Connor starting school. What is it with this?? This makes three nights that I have lost sleep over him starting kindergarten. For some reason I am finding it really hard to let go. There's a strong part of me that wishes God would reach out his hand and stop the world from spinning and time from moving on. I'd like to freeze the present for a few years so I can just enjoy this a little longer.

And you wanna know what I was worrying about, besides the normal my-baby's-growing-up stuff? I was worrying about my son needing to use the facilities and, when he had finished his business, being unable to reach waaaaay up into the t.p. dispenser to find that elusive end. Makes me want to rush him to a public bathroom and teach him what to do. 'Course that's not practical with three small children.

********************

Yesterday was a loooong day. The kids didn't sleep well in the afternoon, which always makes for a difficult last few hours till daddy gets home. Couple that with the fact I ran out of coffee and couldn't have any in the afternoon and the fact that planning worship for Sunday was NOT coming together, and by three o'clock I was done. Done, done. And then the baby woke up screaming. Great.

So later, when my DH was home I was letting off steam.

"You know, I just don't get it. I made the boys clean up all their toys downstairs. It's spotless. There's a whole big empty floor for them to wrestle and run around in, yet they choose to jump off the living room couch where I'm trying to catch five minutes of down time!"

"Well, yeah," he deadpans.

"That's it? That's all you've got to say? 'Yeah?'"

He grins. He grins!

"It's not about the wrestling. It's about you watching."

He just said that like I should know what he's talking about. "What?"

"They're wrestling infront of you to show you. They want you to be able to see them. It's no fun wrestling if there's no one there to watch. I remember doing the exact same thing when I was a kid."

O-kay. Must be a boy thing.

********************

I just had to teach my baby a lesson. Lesson: You cannot pull mommy's books of the bookshelf and chew on them.

Needless to say, he's not a happy boy right now.

********************

I have a question for you. Is it normal for an almost-four-year-old to constantly spill his food? I'm talking great big messes, this kid couldn't stay clean to save his life. He's constantly dropping food off his fork or spoon, spilling over the edge of his plate or knocking over a glass of water.

The most common one is cereal. Every, and I do mean EVERY, morning he spills some of his cereal and milk on the table. It's like he can't help it. He's distracted and not watching what he's doing and...oops, tipped the spoon. In his defense, he's more than willing to clean it up himself. He'll get a napkin and wipe it up to the best of his almost-four ability.

But is this normal? I know they say not to cry over spilled milk, but really!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I hear ya, Shauna. I remember the day my baby started kindergarten (he'll be in 5th grade this year). I took a couple of pictures, and then it was time for all the parents to leave en masse(which I still think was a symbolic cutting of the umbilical cord on the part of the teachers). I cried, but he came out that afternoon grinning from ear to ear, bursting with things to tell me about. I got involved (for my sake, initially) helping his teacher with parties, plays, and other things she needed, which helped her, and allowed me to get to know all his little friends and to see my boy was in good hands. It also gave me opportunities to shine the light around the other moms.
The Lord loves our boys even more than we do, and He is with them when we aren't. He's got things under control. Just send him off with prayers each morning.
Oh, and all those things I needlessly worried about never happened.
We lived down the street from grandma until just a year ago, and have taken first-day-of-school pictures on her porch every year on the first day of school. Good memories.