Sunday, August 31, 2008

Random, of course

**Sweet Words**

Connor - "Mom, I figured out how to change the toilet paper roll. Now you'll never have to change it again."


**50/50**

I went to pick up Benen after his second day at kindergarten. "Mom, I need to talk to you."

"Alright. What's up?"

"No, uh, not right here. Let's....um....go a long way away from people."

"Oh. Okay."

He grabbed my hand and led me half-way down the hall of the school. "Uh, here's good." I knelt down so I was eye level with him and repeated my question.

"So, what's up?"

"Um, I got sent to the Table today."

The "Table" is where the kids who aren't listening and behaving are sent for time out away from the class. "Oh, really. What were you sent to the Table for?"

"Um...for goofing around."

"Huh. You weren't listening to the teacher?"

"No."

"Oh." Honestly, at this moment I had no idea how to respond. It was then I noticed the little smirk he was desperately fighting to hide. Huh. Imagine.

"How about you try better the next day to listen? Okay?"

"Okay."

Honestly! Two days in and already he's causing mischief. Though, if I'm being honest, I'm not entirely surprised. I'm giving the teacher two weeks. If I don't hear from her by then, I'm making an appointment to see how she's holding up. (Truly, Benen is a good kid - just a little clownish and fidgety - and I don't want him to be misunderstood.)


**One Sad Boy**

"What's wrong, Benen?"

"Dad won't give me a bigger spoon."

"Why do you need the bigger spoon?"

"I did the littler spoon and I need the bigger spoon to hang on my nose to prove I'm talented."


**Why?**

"Come on, Kolten, you need a nap."

"Uh, no."

"Um, yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because you're two, you're little and you're tired."

"Uh...uh-kay."

7 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Great stuff. Someday they'll go back and read this and groan, but you will have it forever to read.

Becky said...

Awww, Shauna...those stories were ADORABLE!

Your Benen sounds SO MUCH like my Judah!

Jenster said...

I swear (I know, I know - we shouldn't swear) I can never get enough of your boy stories! Again, you and Becky need to write that book.

Sing4joy said...

I love you shares from your children! I wish I could be better at recognizing things in the moment!

Celine said...

What great boys. Such cute nephews I have.

airingon said...

I love the conversations you have with the boys. Always makes me laugh.

The Daily Bee said...

Aw, so cute!

LOL - after reading so much about Benen I can imagine what the teacher hears at school.